Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary & St. Anthony's Mission Church
Church History
The Parish of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was formed in 1870 out of portions of Saint Mary’s Parish on Broadway and Saint Michael’s parish in South Providence. The first pastor, Reverend Michael Clune saw the dedication of the first Assumption Church in August 1871. Father Clune remained in charge until his death in January 1888. Father William Hines succeeded him and remained for the brief period of one month, having died on the day of the month’s mind for his predecessor. Reverend J.C. Tennian was the next pastor and remained until his appointment as pastor of Saint Mary’s Pawtucket in 1899. During his administration the debt was removed, the church was renovated and the rectory was enlarged and improved. Father Tennian was followed by Reverend Thomas L. Kelley and he in turn by Reverend John F. Haney. It was Father Haney who erected the splendid church that we worship in today. The church, designed in the Perpendicular Gothic style is one of the most elaborate churches in the state. It fronts on Potters Avenue, and in its exterior lines, proportions and colour schemes are considered one of the most handsome structures of its kind in this city. Being both simple and dignified, it creates the impression of a monumental structure. And with the front facade flanked as it is on either side by towers, the highest of which is 112 feet, it stands above and dominates the surrounding neighbourhood, making it a landmark from many parts of the city.
On June 3, 1900, Bishop Matthew Harkins announced the formation of a new parish to be known as Saint Anthony's. The parish would comprise portions of Saint Mary's on Broadway and St. Ann's, Cranston and would include most of Olneyville. The pastor would be Reverend George Brown, an assistant at Saint Mary's. Just a week later Father Brown would celebrate the very first Mass of the new parish at the Olneyville Temperance Cadets Hall. Although the seating capacity was almost 400 people, additional chairs were needed to accommodate the large crowd. The following Friday, June 14th an announcement was published that a real estate transaction had been completed for the purchase of land for the new church which would be located on Plainfield Street. Things were moving at lightning speed. On Sunday, June 17 Father Brown announced plans for a major fundraiser for the new parish to be held on the parish grounds on July 4. A committee was quickly organized and plans made for the Saint Anthony's "Picnic and Lawn Festival". The event was both a social and financial success as reported by the local press. The receipts after expenses reported a profit of over $1600.00. Construction of the new Saint Anthony’s Church commenced shortly thereafter. Father Brown celebrated the very first Mass in the partially-constructed church on Christmas Eve 1900. Work on the building continued as funds became available. At long last, the church was dedicated in June 1912. Eventually, a new school, rectory and convent were added. Save for six months in 1935 Father Brown remained pastor of Saint Anthony’s for almost 46 years.
On July 1, 2010, Saint Anthony’s Church became a mission church of Assumption parish.
Information
791 Potters Avenue
Providence - RI 02907




