St. Patrick’s Church
Church History
Established : 1860
Patron : St. Patrick
Address : St. Patrick’s Church, 36 Cantt, Kanpur – 208 004
Telephone : 0512 - 2381393
Religious : Congregation of Jesus (CJ), Ursulines Mary Immaculate (UMI),
Missionaries of Charity (MC)
A Brief History:
This place was first visited by the Jesuit fathers working under the protection of Akbar’s Court. Later on with the suppression of the Jesuit Order this place was passed over to the Patna Mission. The first Church was built in 1825 on the bank of the river Ganges.
In the year 1857, during the mutiny, the Church and the priest house were destroyed. In1860 a hall was built which formed the foundation of the present Church. This building was covered with a thatched roof. Many conversions took place. In 1893 this place was handed over to the Military who undertook to enlarge it. In 1895 two wings were added with a sacristy to the main body. In this way the present Church came into existence and was dedicated to St. Patrick. The present priest-house was built by Rev. Fr. Lewis in the year 1909 and named after St. Anthony.
Information
St. Patrick?s Church, 36 Cantt, Kanpur ? 208 004

