St. Joseph's Church
Church History
The Parish Centre began with the coming of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery who started the St. Joseph's Convent High School in 1952 to serve the Christian Community of the town. In 1952 the General Manager of the Eastern Railways had allotted land for the school to serve the members of the Railway community. A further plot of land was given to the Archdiocese by the Railways and the Archdiocese at its own cost and with assistance of donor agencies put up additional structures for the purpose of the school. In 1980 the Apostolic Carmel sisters took over the school from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery. A Hindi medium School was opened on the premises given by the Railways in 1954. In 1990, at the expiry of the contract with the Apostolic Carmel Sisters, the Sisters of Little Flower of Bethany took over the administration of St. Joseph's school. During the tenure of Fr. Godfrey Fernandes a Church was built in 1995 and it was erected into a parish in 1996.
Category:
Catholic: 681
Information
Asoke Avenue, Chittaranjan, PIN-713331
