Sacred Heart Church
Church History
From 1865, Burdwan was regularly visited by priests from St. Xavier's college, Calcutta. A Chapel was built in 1870 mainly for the railway staff then living in Burdwan on the land donated by Raja of Burdwan. Raja Bijoy Chand Mahatab erected a marble altar in the same Chapel in 1904, which adorns the tabernacle altar even today. In 1960 Fr. Mangal Das SJ while teaching in St. Xavier's School, Burdwan, took keen interest in the vast mission field. Later as the Parish Priest of Kalna, he visited Burdwan regularly. He invited the Daughters of St. Anne of Kolkata for ministry and also built a convent for them (present day Bishop's Office at Burdwan). In 1970, Fr. Fredrick D' Souza began a Hostel for the Tribal boys. On 9th March 1980 Burdwan was erected into a Parish. The Sisters of Daughters of St. Anne moved out of the Church premises in 1988 to a more spacious land at Balidanga, donated by the Society of Jesus. At Sacred Heart Church a new hostel building was constructed in 1991. In 2006 ABSK began its office in boys' hostel. In 2008 the boys were shifted to Chetana.The present Church was reconstructed and dedicated in 2008 at the initiative of Fr. Sebastian Rodrigues.
Category:
Catholic: 1526
Information
55, B. B. Ghosh Road, Tetutola, Burdwan, PIN-713101
