MOST HOLY REDEEMER CHURCH
Church History
BELTHANGADY: (1885)
MOST HOLY REDEEMER
Address : Belthangady P.O. 574 214
Phone : 08256-298016; 8277939320
Email : belthangadychurch1885@gmail.com
Website : www.belthangadychurch.com
Catholics : 2818 Families : 609
P. P. : V. Rev. Joseph A. Cardoza
(from 2020 onwards)
Phone : 9844043729
Email : josephacardoza@gmail.com
H.M. : Rev. Clifford Pinto
Phone : 9164775527
Email : cliffordsimonpinto@gmail.com
Convent:
St Therese Convent
Superior: Sr Anitha Rodrigues UFS
Belthangady P.O. 574 214, D.K.
Phone : 08256 – 232083; 9481594708
Email : sttherese_345@rediffmail.com
Institutions:
1. Church Aided Hr Pry School
Phone : 08256– 234118
Email : churchschoolbel@gmail.com
2. Holy Redeemer Eng. Med. Primary & High School
Phone : 08256–233515
Email : holyredeemer2004@gmail.com
H.M. : Rev. Clifford Pinto
Phone : 9164775527
Former Parish Priests :
V. Rev. Bonaventure Nazareth (till 2020)
HISTORY:
In 1682, when Maratha King Sambhaji invaded Goa, some Catholilc families fled from Bardez in Goa, to a place called Gaddai, Athyadka and began residing there. In about 1870, Fr Vaz constructed a chapel here. Originally a part of Agrar, the chapel was served from there. During the Goa-Verapoly controversy, some families seceded from Agrar and built a small chapel at Gaddai, a village at the foot of the rock fortress Jamalabad. As Athyadka was malaria-prone, the chapel was abandoned in 1890. Fr Pascal Mascarenhas constructed a thatched chapel at Belthangady. It was pulled down to make way for a stable structure and a temporary church built adjoining the presbytery served for nearly 10 years. This was served from Taccode for some time. There were many Christian officers at Belthangady who helped Fr Mascarenhas to get a plot.
In 1908, Fr Piadade D’Souza constructed a new church. Fr Clifford D’Souza constructed the new parochial house in 1982. Fr Gregory D’Souza built a chapel at Charmadi. On August 10, 1939, Fr John G. Pinto established a chapel at Bangady, (Indubettu) which became a parish later. Arva, Indubettu and Naravi parishes were carved out of Belthangady. Fr Rosario Fernandes extended the church.
Two parishioners, Mr S.J. Morris and his wife Mrs Juliana D’Souza were awarded a Pontifical Houour named Pro - Ecclessia Pontifice in 1964. Another parishioner Mr Joseph Mary Menezes was awarded Benemerenti.
Fr John G. Pinto started a primary school at Belthangady. Fr Rosario Fernandes constructed the new school building in 1949. St Theresa High School was begun by Fr Elias P. Dias on June 1, 1965.
Information
Belthangady P.O. 574 214
