ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH
Church History
Established : 1959
Patron : St. Joseph
Address : St. Joseph’s Church, Guru Niwas, Jaffarganj P.O. AmbedkarnagarDt -
Telephone : 05271 - 252355
Religious : Sisters of Helpers of Mary (SHM), CMSF Brothers
A Brief History
St Joseph’s Mission, Jaffarganj, was established in 1959 by Franciscan Missionary Brothers (CFMS) in the midst of a village near Jaffarganj Railway Station. Their main vision was to provide work for the neighboring villagers. Hence they established a model farm under the patronage of St. Joseph the worker. They also opened a school, now high school, as it was the need of the time. They invited some catholic families from different parts of the north India and settled them in a colony giving them the land for their livelihood which was called as St. Columban Colony. Initially there were only six families but later many families incubated in the colony. St. Joseph’s Boarding house for the poor boys of the neighbouring villages and of the RCD of Allahabad was established in 1970 which was later in 1995 closed down due to internal and external problems. In 1978 the sisters belonging to the society of Helpers of MARY were invited to run the dispensary and tailoring school. Hence, the Brothers were involved in Agricultural Farming, Hindi medium High School, Boarding for Boys and other social activities. This mission was served by the fathers residing in Akbarpur. Later, a presbytery was built and blessed by his Lordship Rt. Rev. Isidore Fernandes on July 10, 1995 and named Guru Niwas; Rev. Fr. Louis Mascarenhas was appointed as the first Priest in charge of the place. Thereafter, Rev. Fr. Stany Wilfred D’Souza, Fr. Maria Selvaraj, Fr. Thomas Serrao, Fr. Prabhunath have rendered their services. Presently, Fr. Sunil Mascarenhas is energetically working to bring up the station.
Information
St. Joseph?s Church, Guru Niwas, Jaffarganj P.O. AmbedkarnagarDt

