Church Of Mother Of God (Deva Madha Church)
Church History
The chapel of Mother of God was blessed and started in the year 1969 by late Rev. Fr. Ignatius OFM. This chapel was the first sub-station of St. Sebastian's Church, Madhavaram, Chennai.
The Friar late Rev. Fr. Ignatius OFM, foresightedly purchased the present land measuring about 2.5 grounds and a small hut was built with a sole intention to spread Marian Faith among few Catholics and the large population of Hindus and other Christian denominations.
In the year 1988, the asbestos roof with walls on either side measuring about 1000 sq.ft. was constructed with the help of Friars and Catholics.
The long-felt demand of the Faithful was finally accepted and the magnificent present church was constructed in the year 2013 with the major assistance by Franciscan Friars along with the Catholics of Kodungaiyur.
On 08-12-2013, the new church was blessed and inaugurated by the Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, His Grace Most Rev. Dr. George Antonysamy.
The present development finally led to the creation of Quasi Parish by the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore on July 1, 2015, and Rev. Fr. Sahaya Dhas OFM has been appointed the first Priest In-charge of the Quasi Parish of the Mother of God Church.
Information
Dr Ambedkar Salai,
Kodungaiyur,
Chennai - 600 118




