HOLY ROSARY CHURCH
Church History
Established : 1921
Patron : Our Lady of Rosary
Address : Holy Rosary Church, Civil Lines, Pratapgarh – 231 001
Telephone : 05342 - 221243
Religious : Canossian Daughters of Charity (FDCC)
A Brief History
Pratapgarh mission was first opened for the English troops. It was first visited by the Chaplain from Faizabad. In1921 Rev. Fr. Alexander was appointed resident missionary there. In 1899 Rev. Fr. Joseph Carol,OFM Cap. Of Delhi blessed the foundation stone of the orphanage of Pratapgarh. The Raja of Kalakankar assisted by the Raja of Pratapgarh and Sultanpur laid the foundation stone. In 1922 Bishop A. Polisolemenly blessed the Church and dedicated it to Our Lady of the Rosary Pompey after which the orphanage was built.
On the appointment of Rev. Fr. Alexander to this mission an industrial school was started where the Orphans were taught carpentry. Later on a weaving school was also opened for the orphans. The work done by them was appreciated even in government circles. On May 20, 1929 a large shed for the weaving school was constructed. Fr. Alexander opened another branch of art, candles made out of pure wax in different sizes. Later, with these savings he repaired the house which was later on given to the Canossian Daughters.
Information
Holy Rosary Church, Civil Lines, Pratapgarh ? 231 001
