St. Peter and Paul Church
Church History
This is an ancient Christianity, the original settlers were Okkiliars (also known as oil- merchants) a Kannada speaking cast. They were from Kuthalathur, where some of them were baptized by Fr. Amadio S.J about 1670. As they increased in number, they migiatéd to Erakalipalayain near Puliampatty and settled down there. From Erakalipalyam, they migrated to Valipalayam and settled down. Nothing is known about the ancient Erakalipalayam. That the Okkiliya Gounders were the first inhabitants of Valipalyam, is proved by the fact that the Maniyakaran even today is an Okkiliar.
From here, some of the Oldciliars had migrated and settled down at Kothamangalam; Since their numbers decreased they invited some Christian families of Thevars from Pallapalyam to come and settle down here for agricultural purposes.
The Jenzits who started Satyamangalam mission evangelized the surrounding areas and already by 1650 Madhapalayam (now a sub-station of Valipalayam) finds mention as a catholic village. Valipalayam as a catholic village is mentioned in 1666, as a substation of the then newly formed Kanuvakarai Mission district.
Fr Bigot-Beauclair and Pacreau visited it between 1837 and 1841. There was a small church built and kept looked after by a good Christian Sinnappan.
This parish was established in 1886.
Fr. Le Bonzec built the old church now used as a school in 1909.
A new spacious church was later on built. This is one of the oldest Parishes of the diocese Fr. Le Bonzec died here on 10.05.1926 and is buried here. In the year 2000, a Sacre of land was bought at Annur for the mission. This is situated on Avinasi to Annur road at Nagammapudur.
This ancient parish has the special distinction of having both the first Head-quarters of the. Sathyamangalam Jesuit Mission within its parish boundary now. Sathyamangalam itself, though it belongs to Ooty diocese, because of the River Bhavani running in the middle of the town, the southern part, called Ranga Samuthiram, juridically belongs to Coimbatore Diocese.
In fact, because of jurisdiction the Catholics on Southern bank, go to Valipalayam, for marriage purposes, though for the reception of the other sacraments, they go to the parish church, situated on the Northern Side ( Ooty diocese). The Second Headquarters of Sathy mission, was the ancient village of Kanuvakarai, about 8 K.m from Puliampatty, though long ago, every trace of Christianity has disappeared from there: Still, History will always remember it as the second, cradle of Christianity of Coimbatore. ‘Madhapalayam more ancient thçn Valipalayam is a small sub-station, though it was the set of a flourishing Christianity of Devangars in 1645. Most of them had to migrate to Bombay due to economic reasons. They are attached to their place of origin and every year faithfully they help Mathapalayam.
Former parish priests :
Fr. D. M Antoriy Nathar (1940-43 )
He raised the Elementary School to a Higher Elementary School. He encouraged many to go for higher studies to join the Seminary and the Religious Congregation.
Fr. A. Chinnaswámy (1943- 47)
He built a chapel at Komarapalayârn.
Fr. T.C. Adaikalam (1947- 50).
Fr.James Savarimuthu(1950’ 52)
He paved the roofing with decorated tiles.
Fr. M. Irudayam (1952-57)
He entrusted the school to the Presentation Congregation and built a convent for them.
Fr. Louis Pitchai (1957-1965)
He bought a bell for the church.
Substations
1. Mathapalayam
Most probably the first Christian Village of Devangers converted by Fr. de Costa himself in 1643. There must have been a small’ chape] of thatched roofing with mud walls as it was the custom then, by 1645. ‘These Catholics would have undergone all the earl persecutions by the yogis, especially the caste excommunication. Both during the Mysore invasion and the war between Mysore and Madura, they would have fled to the nearby mountains along with, the missionaries.
Later by 1680, some of them would have migrated south to Kamiur (the present Kaniur, 3 km from Karumathampatty) and From there spread to other Christian villages of Karumathampatty area. Their chapel would have been destroyed many times, especially by Tippu’s soldiers. Fr. Dub Louis MEP in 1803 would have visited them from Kodivery. Fr. Bigot-Beauclair in 1837 had visite Valipalayam nearby and he had praised the piety and the faith of the Catholics here. It was part of Kodivery Residence with Fr. Lefeuvre as a parish priest in 1859 with 35 Catholics. So the chapel there would have been built after that. There was a chapel in honour of Our Lady of Good Health. During the time of Fr. Louis Pitchai a new chapel was erected with donations from the Catholics who had migrated to Bombay through the efforts of Fr. M. S. Rayyer and with the contribution of the diocese. It was blessed by Mgr. A. Joseph on 12.9.64. The centenary of the Christianity w celebrated on a grand scale by the Catholics of Bombay whole al came in hundreds in 2000.
2. Puliampatty :
Puliampatty is the economic and business center for this whole area but it had no Christian presence till recent times. As Christians began to settle here, a need for a church was felt. Bishop Visuvasam arranged to buy a plot of land on the main road. A beautiful modern church was built by Fr. M.S Michael and consecrated by Bishop Ambrose. Bishop Visuvasam had a peculiar idea to set up the Cross on hill-tops wherever possible, to herald the Christian faith, imitation of the various Hindu temples adorning the hill-tops. Fr M.S. Michael took up this idea and set up a Cross on the nearby hillock but unfortunately, the local Hindus opposed this move, hence his enterprise came to nought
3. Punjai Puliampatti.
4. Annur
Information
Valipalayam B.O.,
Sathy Tk., - Erode Dt.,
638 402
